|This article is very short and not very detailed. Please help to improve it.|
|Producer:||Retro Games Ltd.|
|Price:||119.99 US$; 109.99 £; 119,99 €|
|Memory:||64 KByte, upgradeable|
THEC64 (unofficially THEC64 Maxi) is an ARM-CPU-based game console that runs via VICE under Linux C64 games and programs with a full-size functional C64 keyboard. When the project was announced and advertised some time ago, the new C64 console was referred to as THEC64 Maxi. However, this was changed to THEC64 at short notice when sales started. Therefore the same C64 console can be found on the Internet under both names.
The THEC64 is not a replica of the C64, even if the case resembles the original C64. The hardware is more like a mini-PC; the C64 software is only executed via software-based emulation. Thus the approach of the THEC64 is similar to that of the RetroPie project. Accordingly, the THEC64 cannot offer a user port, IEC port or expansion port on principle. This distinguishes the device from similar projects like the Ultimate 64 or the C64DTV, whose hardware are new developments, but which are strongly based on that of the C64 and are partly compatible on the hardware level.
According to the packaging, there is a C64 and VIC20 or VC20 mode with BASIC V2 in addition to the game carousel (C64 Games or Carousel Mode).
Announced this project already in 2016, however, first appeared the THEC64 Mini, before the project THEC64 Maxi from autumn 2018 was started again. Sales in Germany started from 23.12.2019 at a price of about € 119,99. Internationally, the sales launch had been announced for 05.12.2019. Amazon UK has been selling it since 12/12/2019 and the online retail price is currently significantly increased!
The THEC64 project was designed in the UK and produced in China.
Technical Details[edit | edit source]
- Pixel graphics in 4:3 format with CRT filter and PAL or NTSC mode at 50 and 60 Hz.
- Memory function for save games of the built-in C64 games.
- Software updates via USB stick.
- 64 Game Classics (integrated on the ROM chip)
- Dimensions: 200×70×400 mm
- Weight: 830 g
- Current Retro Games Firmware version: 1.5.2 (delivery state!)
Included Games[edit | edit source]
Links[edit | edit source]
- Spiegel.de: "With three years delay: New edition of the C64 appears in December"; 06/26/2019
- post in the forum Lemon64.com; 11/02/2018
- www.pocket-lint.com: "The C64 release date and price revealed, get the reimagined Commodore 64 by Christmas"; 25.06.2019
- Included C64 games on the official website (Europe version); 2019/2020