|Developer||David A. Collier|
|Gamemode||Single player |
2 players (in turns)
2 players (simultaneous) Team
|Voting of the C64-Wiki users (10=the best vote):|
|7.45 points at 22 votes (rank 209).|
You need to be logged in to cast a vote.
|C64Games||7||26th August 2007 - "very good" - 3055 downs|
|Lemon64||8,2||04th January 2011 - 82 votes|
|Rombach||8||1986 - "Vote 2"|
|Kultboy.com||6,33||26th June 2011 - 3 votes|
Hyper Sports is a sports game which consists of several disciplines, similar to Summer Games. For each discipline there is a qualification norm. If this is not reached, the game is over. When all 6 disciplines are mastered, the game goes into the next round with tightened norms.
Swimming - 100m Freestyle
In swimming you have to show endurance and timing to absolve the 100m as fast as possible.
- Joystick right/left: swim movements
- Fire button: breathe
- Press the fire button as fast as possible when the word "breathe" appears.
- Do the right/left joystick movements as fast as possbile in the rhythm.
Reflexes and precision are need for skeet shooting. The disks are normally fired from the launching machine to the right, the bonus disks from the one on the left.
- Joystick right: shoot at right aim
- Joystick left: shoot at left aim
- After a certain number of hits (without a miss) there are bonus disks.
- 1500 points
- 3000 points
- 4500 points
- 5000 points
For gymnastics at the vaulting horse you need again elegance and timing to get many points from the jury.
- Fire button: jump
- then again fire button: with the second press the hand stand position is set
- then joystick right/left: to make turns
- Jump as late as possible, by this the handstand is done on the backmost part of the horse.
- For a clean landing the feet have to face down.
- 8,80 points
- 9,20 points
- 9,60 points
- 9,80 points
At archery you have to hit as close to the center of the target as possible with the arrow.
- Fire button: choose wind speed and shoot
- Joystick: ?????????
- Try to get the arrow into the center.
- 1500 points
- 2000 points
- 4000 points
- 4500 points
At triple jump you need to do 3 jumps one after the other each as long as possible. This is not quite that simple, as exact timing is required. The jump is invalid if the take-off board was crossed.
- Press fire button: initiate each of the three jumps
- Let go fire button: decide jumping angle and jump
- Hit the board as exactly (late) as possible to not waste any distance.
- The angle should be exactly 45°.
In weight lifting you compete in snatch. The try is successful when you have made it to lift the weight over your head and all three lamps light in white.
- Fire button: change dumbells
- Joystick left/right: lift weight
"Hyper Sports" is a successful conversion of the arcade machine with the same name without the discipline pole vault. Unfortunately, the multiplayer-mode was also removed. The graphics, the (partially funny) animations and the scrolling were realised correspondingly. A great title tune and sound effects during the single disciplines top off the game.
- The game can also be played with 2 joysticks (2 players). However, only one pawn can be played simultaneously.
- The player's name abbreviation for the highscore list is entered at the start of the game by choosing the letters with joystick left/right, confirming with fire button and finalized by "End".
- The version by "Lurid & Tricycle" contains the manual and has in contrast to the original a saveable highscore list.
Tips for each discipline can be found at the description for the corresponding discipline.
Cheats or pokes are currently none known.
Werner: "I like the Epyx Games series better, however, 8 points from me.".
H.T.W: "Actually a good conversion, the controls for the disciplines, the graphics and also the single gimmicks correspond mainly to the arcade original, but due to the missing multiplayer-mode, the proper competitive mood does not arise."
Robotron2084: "An excellent conversion of the machine, graphically and sound-technically a a crowing achievement for that time. Martin Galway's title tune for the game is just adorable ("Chariots of Fire" by Vangelis). Concerning the gameplay you should of course not expect complex control techniques as in the Epyx games, but wild shaking of the joystick instead of "button-mashings" at the arcade machine are a daily occurrence. But it is completely incomprehensible why only a solo athlete can compete. However: Hyper Sports is my number 1 among the joystick shaking games! 7 out of 10 points."
- Robotron2084 - 102.794 (23.05.2014)
- Werner - 97.706 (26.12.2012)
- znarF - 91.162 (27.08.2007)
|Sports Wikipedia: Hyper Sports|
- C64Games.de - Game No. 76
- Lemon64 - Game No. 1258
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 3666
- Test Report No. 2855 on Kultboy.com
- ZZap64 test report
- Hyper Sports in the Killer List Of Videogames.