|Publisher||Sega, HES, HES Australia|
|Platform||Amstrad CPC, Arcade, C64, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, Sega SG-1000, ZX Spectrum|
|Genre||Jump & Run, H-Scrolling|
|Information||Successor: Wonder Boy in Monster Land|
|Voting of the C64-Wiki users (10=the best vote):|
|7.50 points at 42 votes (rank 226).|
You need to be logged in to cast a vote.
|C64Games||8||14th December 2007 - "Super" - 12907 downs|
|Lemon64||7,3||14th December 2007 - 82 votes|
|Happy Computer||69%||Games Special 7/87|
|Kultboy.com||6,78||14th December 2007 - 14 votes|
Wonder Boy is a classical Jump 'n' Run, which already was released by Sega as arcade game in 1986. In the game you control a small “Wonder Boy” over a scrolling screen through different landscapes with the aim to rescue his little girlfriend. But the way there is not quite unperilous, as abysses, boulders, fires and many different animals make a stand against the small hero. Fortunately, he also finds useful items as the big “surprise eggs”, that give him special abilities or numerous fruits, which give him back life energy when he collects them.
Cleanly scrolling levels from left to right with graphics that seem a bit bold but with fluently animated, colourful sprites. The game consists of seven areas with each 4 rounds which again consist of four parts. After every region an end boss awaits you. The graphics do not change in later areas. If switched on, you will be accompanied by an endlessly playing background tune. While shooting, jumping and collecting food sounds are played.
The game consists of seven areas with each 4 rounds which again consist of four parts. The parts are marked on the way with sign posts. Round 1 always plays in the wood, round 2 close to the water, round 3 in a cave and round 4 in a surrounding with mixed background (buildings, wood, wall) and leads to the end boss. When an end boss is defeated, an item needs to be picked up which then is lighted in the upper rim of the screen.
On the way to his cutie Wonderboy needs to jump over different platforms and abysses and at the same time defeat all kinds of animals. To have enough energy, he can find food in the shape of fruits, sweets or sandwiches on the way. Furthermore, there are fire and rocks, which block his way.
In the upper bar of the screen all the relevant information is shown. With yellow symbols the lives that are left are shown. You can collect more lives that can be displayed. Below this a frame shows, whether you carry the axe or not, next to it you can see 3 of the 7 items you get after defeating an end boss. If you have collected an item, it will be shown in blue. Items that are invisible at the start, will scroll in as soon as it is their turn. In the right part of the upper bar dominates the important energy bar, which must not get empty or else a life will be lost due to “No Vitality”. Above it you can see the current number of points per player or respectively the highscore.
- : Single play mode
- : Mode for two players
- : Music on or off
- : Pause
- : Move left
- : Move right
- : Jump
- : Walk/jump fast and throw axe
Contents of the egg
- You need to defeat the end boss with a certain number of hits. The higher the area the more hits you need and the faster will the boss move. The time between the enemy‘s shots gets shorter with ascending area.
- If you are hit by an end boss you start again at sign post no. 4.
- If an end boss is defeated, he will lose his head and makes off with a new head that you will meet in the next fight. The head falls to the ground and turns into an item, which you need to pick up. You finally need to leave the level to the right.
- If you lose a life in a round, you start again at the last sing post that you have passed last.
- Remember which egg contains the death and try not to open it.
- An egg can be opened with 2 hits of the axe or by kicking it (running against it). The egg can also be kicked down an abyss and the content is lost.
- You can run under the green frog with high speed without touching it.
- The snake is often (not always!) announced by a fruit close to the ground.
- You can escape the shots of the end bosses by staying close to their body.
- Per fruit you get 50 or 100 points, when the food was turned into cakes, tarts and ice cream or sandwiches you get 100 to 200 points.
- Dissolving stones or fire with the guardian angel 100 points
- Remove animals starting from 30 points per animal
- At the end of each area a bonus, depending on the rest energy (full energy bar about 10.000 points), which can be doubled by the doll.
- Finally rescue the girlfriend: 100.000 points bonus
- It is important to eat the appearing food (fruit, cake) to have much time for the level.
- Further it is important to get and keep the axe, to shoot enemies.
- Every end boss needs to be defeated with a certain number of shots on the head.
- If you have defeated end boss 7 you get to your girlfriend. After that the game is over and you get a bonus.
- Interrupt the game with RESET, then type
POKE 2676,205and restart the game with
- The version by Remember offers different options, such as no loss of energy, unlimited lives, always carry the axe, etc .
Jodigi: "A really nice Jump&Run game with party tricky situations, especially when the Axe can currently not be used. The music is nice but on the long run a bit monotonous."
Shakermaker303: "It’s fun, a nice Jump & Run for in between – but no highlight."
Helmutx: "I loved Wonderboy as an arcade game!!! Unfortunately, the C64 version is not so successfully made."
Camailleon: "The arcade machine with Wonderboy was standing in the lido when I was young and sometimes I was allowed to play. When I had the game on the C64 I instantly recognized it. A great Jump & Run with a slightly lower difficulty grade."
Comparison with other conversions
The original aracde version was animated graphically more laboriously than the conversion for the C64. The game principle and the fun did not suffer, the computer games community was generally very satisfied. It was also not a too great disadvantage that the C64 does not support a second fire button for jumping.
Originally an arcade in amusement halls...
The popular SEGA Master System version
For comparison, a scene at the C64
- Camailleon - 491.960 - Level 7.4.4 / durchgespielt (20.03.2010)
- Werner - 414.980 - Level 7.4.4 / Endgegner (02.05.2010)
- Alex - 199.800 (30.12.2007)
- Ivanpaduano - 172.600 - ""ivanpaduanorecordwonderboy.jpg" (06.06.2019)
- Hugo - 33.490 (28.12.2007)
|Boy Wikipedia: Wonder Boy|
- C64Games.de - Game No. 200
- Lemon64 - Game No. 2886
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 8681
- Test Report No. 1233 on Kultboy.com
- Wonder Boy in the Killer List Of Videogames.
- ZZap64 test report
- TheLegacy entry no.3391
- ready64 - Game No. 257
- C64.com - Game No. 311
- Versionen bei sfodb.com