Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh
|Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh|
|Voting||7.76 points, 41 votes|
|Developer||Allan Shortt, Steve Wahid (gfx)|
|Genre||Arcade - Breakout/Pong|
|Gamemode||Single player |
up to 4 players (in turns)
Description[edit | edit source]
Story[edit | edit source]
"The huge alien sapceship ZARG has intruded our universe. As it is known, there are the armed space-controlling forces DOH on board, of which was by mistake believed that they had been eliminated in a space war that roared fortythousand years ago. ..."
Game principle[edit | edit source]
As on the forerunner Arkanoid an energy ball needs to destroy blocks. The player controls the "new" spaceship "Vaus II" and has to try to defelect the ball with the ship to stay in the game. Furthermore there are oppsing aliens, as well as blocks which differ in the easyness to get destroyed.
Again there are 32 levles with concluding end boss ("Dimensions Changer") as level 33. It muss be destroyed to beat the "DOH" off again.
Design[edit | edit source]
The playing direction is from bottom to top, on a static surface. The ship can only be moved horizontally and the rebound angle of the energy beam depends on the hitting point on the spaceship. The extras can be distinguished by the colour, the aliens are properly animated.
As novation compared to the forerunner there are now animated stones that move or disappear and reappear a highscore list with 99 entries, a 1 to 4 player option and the possibility to choose between two exits after solving a level.
Hints[edit | edit source]
For each game stage there are two different levels that are choosen by the position of the Vaus II in the level before (left or right half of the game). (On the left there seem to be the simpler levels or respectively the ones with more stones...)
In the higher levels there are aliens which are indestructible or can move "over" the bricks...
Boni[edit | edit source]
- B = Backdoor to the next level.
- C = Energy beam (ball) keeps stuck to the Vaus II (bat).
- D = Five balls at the same time.
- E = Vaus II (bat) gets big.
- I = Ghost creature (moving shadow) appears behin Vaus II and can divert the energy beam.
- L = Laser at the Vaus II.
- N = Three beams (balls) at the same time, when losing one, a new one will generate itself.
- P = Extra life.
- R = Vaus II gets smaller.
- S = Slows down the energy beam (ball)
- T = Double appears next to Vaus II.
- Special capsule = random bonus.
- every 50.000 points there is an extra life
Scoring[edit | edit source]
- 30-120 points for every destroyed brick (depending on the colour)
- 200 points for eliminated aliens
- 1.000 points for each picked up bonus
- 100.000 points for defeating the end boss
Controls[edit | edit source]
There are different options for the controls: 1351 mouse, Neos mouse, joystick and keyboard. With the mouse the bat is significantly better controlled than with keyboard or joystick, so you should definitely prefer with VICE or CCS64 the CBM mouse emulation.
In the main menu:
In the main menu the following possibilites are offered:
|NEOS mouse (NEC mouse)|
|Commodore 1351 mouse (if you have a mouse then you should take this opportunity)|
|Keyboard ("V" = left / "B" = right /SHIFT = Fire)|
|-||1 player - 4 players|
|Start the game|
In the game:
|Joy/Mouse - left/right||the steer the bat into the desired direction|
|Fire button||to shoot the ball (at the beginning or when having the stick bonus) or shooting the laser|
Solution[edit | edit source]
In level 33, the end level, you need to face the "boss" DOH. It must be hit about 40 times. In this level no extras can be gained, so you need to cope with the lives you have collecte before that.
- The laser is mainly suited for stones, that need to be hit several times to get destroyed.
- With the help of the outmost ridge of the space ship (bat) the energy ball can be deflected in an extremely acute angle. This is especially helpful, when you need to manoeuvre on limited space.
Cheats[edit | edit source]
Voting[edit | edit source]
|Voting of the C64-Wiki users (10=the best vote):|
|7.76 points at 41 votes (rank 163).|
You need to be logged in to cast a vote.
|C64.com||9||21st July 2013 - 12177 downs|
|C64Games||9||13th November 2006 - "top" 8602 downs|
|Commodore Format||90%||Issue 9 6/91|
|Commodore User||7/10||Issue 55 4/88|
|Happy Computer||74%||Games Special 5/88|
|Kultboy.com||8.51||21st July 2013 - 31 votes|
|Lemon64||8.00||21st July 2013 - 132 votes|
|Ready64||8.73||21st July 2013 - 22 votes|
|Zzap!||89%||Issue 37 5/88|
|Zzap!||74%||Issue 74 6/91|
Reviews[edit | edit source]
FXXS: "It is a matter of taste which Arkanoid one likes better. Graphics and sound are a bit different, but not implicitly better, the gameplay is a bit harder than in the forerunner. Due to the several gimmicks it get from me just under 9 points."
TheRyk: Though graphics and sound are good in both versions, RoD is definetely the worse Arkanoid to my mind. If you take the upgrades (or should I say 'downgrades' in case of that 'R'?), some seem to be quite nice at first glance, but are more or less superfluous if you take a closer look, e.g. 'T' and 'I' are not so much different from the 'E's. Extra-Lives do not come as easy as in Arkanoid and the level design is simply trash if you ask me. Though you can learn to avoid certain super-difficult levels, especially the first 6 screens should be much easiert. 6 Points because it might be an alternative every now and then if you have played Arkanoid and Krakout too extensively."
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- "Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh" is the official successor of Arkanoid. All other games as "Arkanoid II", "Arkanoid III" , "Arkanoid IV", "Arkanoid V", etc. are fan mods of "Arkanoid" and no official releases.
- For the game console SNES the successor "Arkanoid: Doh It Again" was also released.
Cover[edit | edit source]
Advertisement[edit | edit source]
Highscore[edit | edit source]
- Equinoxe - 184.270 - Level 10 (03.09.2011)
- Rio - 181.710 - Level 11 (28.03.2007)
- FXXS - 136.740 - Level 11 (14.11.2006)
- Werner - 135.860 - Level 11 (07.04.2012)
- Robotron2084 - 105.600 - Level 9 (26.12.2006)
- Tayo - 101.610 - Level 8 (17.12.2006)
- Evil_Igel - 86.490 - Level 5 (15.07.2011)
- Equinoxe Junior - 84.130 - Level 4 (09.09.2011)
- Scorpi.us - 80.830 - Level 5 (17.12.2006)
Links[edit | edit source]
- C64Games.de - Game No. 16
- Lemon64 - Game No. 146
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 399
- Arkanoid - Revenge of Doh in the Killer List Of Videogames.
- Test Report No. 155 on Kultboy.com
- ZZap64 test report
- C64Games.de - Game No. 5114 (Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh - Editor)
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 402 (Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh - Editor)