Jack the Nipper II – Coconut Capers
|Jack the Nipper II – Coconut Capers|
|Voting||7.19 points, 27 votes|
|Developer||Andrew Green, Terry LLoyd, Greg Holmes|
|Publisher||Gremlin Graphics Software Ltd.|
|Genre||Arcade, Platformer (Scrolling Screen)|
|Information||Forerunner: Jack the Nipper|
Description[edit | edit source]
Jack the Nipper 2 is a jump'n'run game. The main actor in this game is Jack the Nipper, a small naughty baby with nappies and cool sunglasses. He is in the jungle where several adventures await him.
The story begins[edit | edit source]
Imagine the scene – blazing hot sun beats down over a tropical forest, the only sounds to be heard are those of chattering monkeys, a trumpeting elephant and the screeching of the parakeets. Gazelles grace peacefully and zebras are sipping gently from a tropical pool when the peace is disturbed by the drone of an aeroplane.
Suddenly, a triumphant, blood curdling yell, swiftly followed by the sound of a thud, shatters the stillness – Jack has landed! So begins the story of Jack’s exploits in the jungle, after having been so dastardly in his last adventure.
The game[edit | edit source]
- You are in a wild jungle where different adventures wait for you.
- You meet natives, hunters and wild animals.
- You cross different landscapes as the stone cave, the swamp, the tropical jungle with its huge trees, different temple complexes, the crocodile lake and the hidden mine.
- In the jungle you find different items.
- To get king of the jungle you need to solve different tasks (do small tricks). See NAUGHTYOMETER for more.
Design[edit | edit source]
The game is shown in 2D view, one can move freely in the jungle. Sound and music fit the game well and create a good mood. The graphics are diversified and show different landscapes. The C64 version partially differs from other versions (Schneider, Spectrum) of the game. In the C64 version you always start at the same place, whereas in the other versions there are random starting points.
Hints[edit | edit source]
- In the game there are different items that either serve as *weapons* or can be used to do the *tricks*.
- The *weapons* are triggered with the fire button, the collected items for *tricks* are used by throwing them out of the ducking position. However, the latter need to be used with the correct characters to have an effect.
- Altogether can two items be carried at the same time, the weapons can always be used, after a certain number of shots they are used up.
- In the NAUGHTYOMETER the successfully done tasks are shown.
- Furthermore, Jack can also use his nappy as a parachute. If he jumps downwards, push the joystick upwards and press the fire button. This is a very important function in the game, as you have to climb on trees often and need to command this "parachute trick" with the nappy to not lose too many lives and get from trees quickly. It needs a bit of practice to do so, not every jump succeeds straightaway and you land with your nose on the jungle ground. Correct timing when jumping is required. First jump, then wait approx. 1-2 seconds and then use the nappy (joystick up and use fire button). Like this, Jack lands safely on the ground.
Tricks and weapons[edit | edit source]
Controls[edit | edit source]
Solution[edit | edit source]
- Jack is in the jungle and needs to solve altogether 10 different tasks.
- You need to use the right items with the right people to solve the tasks.
- And here are the tasks/tricks (NAUGHTYOMETER )
Trick 1 – the grease[edit | edit source]
- At the beginning of the game you climb down into the stone cave and get the GREASE near the rock.
- Now you climb up and visit "Tarzan". He is above one of the first temples on the liana, as it is proper for a Tarzan.
- You climb onto a tree opposite of the Big Boss alias Tarzan and throw the grease on Tarzan´s liana. Now Tarzan is in a tight spot. :-)
Trick 2 – the blowtube[edit | edit source]
- In the middle of the game (to the right of the Tarzan liana) is the main rope bridge, that is guarded by a native.
- Cross it and pick up the blowtube in front of the hut.
- Now swing with the liana over the crocodile pond.
- WAIT... until the rope swings into your direction again.
- Now shoot at the native, which stands next to the pond.
- Now jump back at the rope and the native will now drop into the crocodile pond.
- Look... how clever he is :-)
Trick 3 – the rope[edit | edit source]
- Now you can jump back to the other side.
- In front of the abyss there is now a rope.
- Pick it up and go to the stone hill, which is under the main rope bridge.
- Climb on the tree stump on the hill.
- Use the rope and fish for a native. :-)
Trick 4 – the pineapple (+ dynamite)[edit | edit source]
- On the upper right side of the game above the "Temple of Gods" you find the pineapple.
- Go back to the stone cave and get the dynamite.
- Now you can annoy the Tasmanian devil. :-)
Trick 5 – the mouse[edit | edit source]
- You find a mouse in the swamp area of the jungle.
- Get it and go to the elephant which is standing next to the temple.
- Throw the mouse under his feet and the elephant will jump on the tree out of fear. :-)
Trick 6 - the termites[edit | edit source]
- Go to the temple complex (where you have scared the elephant).
- Get the termites.
- Go back into the tree tops and go to the rope bridge (do not kill the native!).
- Stand in front of the rope bridge and throw the termites on it.
- Now our small native is in the air ... at least for one or two seconds. :-)
Trick 7 – the toffee[edit | edit source]
- Go to the entrance of the mine and jump into it.
- Get the coconut and the toffee and use the mine rail.
- After surviving the mine rail, you need to face the crocodiles.
- Give the crocodiles the toffee.
- Now they will be more friendly, the sweet fellows. :-)
Trick 8 – the onion[edit | edit source]
- Climb through the temple complex into the trees of the jungle and keep to the left.
- Now go to the onion and then to the bear.
- Give him the onion and he will start to cry. :-(
Trick 9 and trick 10 – the honey (+ blowtube)[edit | edit source]
- You find the honey in the trees (upper left), as it is proper for a jungle.
- When you have it, go to the bee hive.
- Now comes the subtlety:
- First climb onto a branch to the left of the bee hive and shoot with the "blowtube" at the hive.
- Now a few bees will get rebellious. "Just relax"
- Now comes the second part!
- To the left of the bee hive is a small hut.
- The bees will now follow you. Put down the honey in the hut.
- You will make other people happy. :-)
Final[edit | edit source]
- Now you have solved all "puzzles".
- You should have your Naughtyometer complete.
- You can go to the "Temple of Gods".
- Pass the temple guard and thus go into the Hall of Thriumph.
Now they will announce you King of the Jungle :-) - and you have finished the game.
Cheats[edit | edit source]
Map[edit | edit source]
Pokes[edit | edit source]
POKE 51114, 234 : POKE 51115, 234 : POKE 51116, 234
When you have already died once, you can also use the following POKEs:
POKE 49231, 76 : POKE 49232, 87 : POKE 49233, 192
Back to the game
Voting[edit | edit source]
|Voting of the C64-Wiki users (10=the best vote):|
|7.19 points at 27 votes (rank 355).|
You need to be logged in to cast a vote.
|C64Games||7||18th April 2014 - "very good" - 19195 downs|
|Lemon64||7.2||06th January 2013 - 59 votes|
|Kultboy.com||6,75||06th January 2013 - 8 votes|
Critics[edit | edit source]
zk: "Very nice and interesting C64 game with diversified jungle landscapes, good music and tricky tasks and if you do not move the joystick for a while, there are a few nicely animated gestures from Jack the Nipper."
H.T.W: "A worthy follower of the first part, partially with funny sprites, a huge, smoothly scrolling game area, well fitting background sounds and 10 tricky puzzles (one has to find out the solution to begin with). For me, however, the game is partially too difficult, as you not only have to jump pixel exact, but also the enemies are not half as bad. Without a map you stray around rather without plan at the beginning (you find a map on C64-Games.de) and also with the map it is not easy to find a certain place. It is also a pity that there is no highscore list. But nevertheless an interesting game.".
Patrick: A very long game, huge game world. Not as cute as the forerunner, but also not as many enemies. It is only a pity that the number of tricks is so limited. But it was funny and challenging. Occupied me for a long time.
Erwin33: Nice game! Diversified graphics and interesting puzzles. A small secret tip for friends of the C64.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
Highscore[edit | edit source]
- zk74 - 171.190 (21.11.2007)
- nik - 72.980 (01.11.2007)
- Erwin33 - 27.960 (22.11.2007)
- Keule - 6.480 (10.07.2015)
Links[edit | edit source]
- C64Games.de - Game No. 541
- Lemon64 - Game No. 1347
- C64.com - Game No. 198
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 3874
- TheLegacy – game no. 2314
- Test Report No. 1606 on Kultboy.com
- ZZap64 test report