Gremlins – The Adventure
|Gremlins – The Adventure|
|Platform||C64, BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, C16 (nur Text)|
|Genre||Adventure - Graphic(Hi-Res)/Text|
|Gamemode||Single player |
- 1 Voting
- 2 Description
- 3 Design
- 4 Hints
- 5 Solution
- 6 Cheats
- 7 Critics
- 8 Miscellaneous
- 9 Highscore
- 10 Links
|Voting of the C64-Wiki users (10=the best vote):|
|7.25 points at 12 votes (rank 296).|
You need to be logged in to cast a vote.
|C64Games||8||24th April 2012 - 2663 downs|
|Lemon64||7.2||24th April 2012 - 27 votes|
|Kultboy.com||7.2||24th April 2012 - 5 votes|
|Happy Computer 9/85||-||Test report without voting system!|
There were three mysterious warnings ...
- "Keep them away from water!"
- "Keep them away from light!"
- "But the most important: No matter how much they beg! Never ever feed them after midnight - never!"
... but what happens then, we all know.
Gremlins - The Adventure is a licensed adventure game by Adventure Soft from 1985, which is based on the movie from 1984.
Mainly the game consists in the task to keep the Gremlins from terrifyingly devastating the town Kingstons Falls with all means and destroy them. On the foray through Kingston Falls the player gets to see again some settings from the movie.
Story & Aim of the game
From the original manual:
Kingston Falls is in danger of being over-run with Gremlins, Billy has been tricked by Gizmo's offsprings into feeding them after midnight. The Mogwai have already pupated and turned into the evil Gremlins, and, led by Stripe  (the evilist of them all) are now causing chaos all over Kingston Falls. By taking the part of Billy you are now about to embark on a most perilous adventure. Aided by Gizmo it is your task to save Kingston Falls from being over-run with Gremlins.
This adventure's buildup is typical for the genre Hi-Res/text. At the top of the screen there is a graphic, which is even partially animated and shows the current place. In the lower part of the screen the player gets a description of the things he sees in the shape of text. From this one can derive items with which you can interact. As often in the C64 era, a two-word parser was used for this adventure and there is the possibility to visit altogether 37 locations.
Tips for the game
- It is always recommended to leave behind items that you do not need any more, as it may lead to death out of the blue.
- After a certain number of given commands a "Gang of Gremlins" appears. You can provoke this with "WAIT".
- If one of these gangs is on your heels (They make themselves felt by the text "Oh dear! I have company...."), you can shake them off later with "PRESS BUTTON" (camera) for a short time.
- As long as the movie is shown in the cinema, you are not disturbed by the "Gang of Gremlins" for a certain time.
Commands (German version)
The manual only supplies the player "a few useful words" and therefore these are only a couple of commands.
Commands (English version)
Again only a choice of commands, but these are basically enough.
Short commands (English version)
1. It is possible to enter several commands after each other divided by a comma (,).
Example: GET THE BOX, OPEN THE BOX, TAKE THE KEY
2. You can write full sentences.
Example: GET THE MOGWAI FROM THE BOX
3. You have the possibility to pick up or put down all items at once with GET ALL and DROP ALL
Step by Step (English version)
- We start in the bedroom where there is a Gremlin throwing darts.
- First we go down and kill the Gremlin with the sword.
- D, GET SWORD, GET REMOTE, KILL GREMLIN, DROP SWORD
- Now we have to go to the kitchen, where there are several things to do.
- GO KITCHEN, PRESS REMOTE (microwave on -> Gremlin gets cooked), PRESS REMOTE (microwave off), PRESS REMOTE (blender on -> Gremlin killed), PRESS REMOTE (blender off), PRESS REMOTE (open laundry chute), LOOK CHUTE (Gizmo can now be seen), PRESS REMOTE (close laundry chute), PRESS REMOTE (drawer open), LOOK DRAWER (found igniter), LOOK DRAWER (found knife), GET IGNITER, GET KNIFE, DROP REMOTE
- If you want to take a look at GIZMO, you can do this with the command "LOOK GIZMO"
- Now back again into the bedroom to kill the Gremlin with the knife and get the torch.
- E, U, KILL GREMLIN, GET FLASHLIGHT
- Now out of the house and we head towards the tavern.
- D, GO DOOR, N, E, E, GO TAVERN
- Now go behind the bar to get the camera and the pipe.
- GO BAR, GET CAMERA, PRESS BUTTON (to shoo away the Gremlins), CUT PIPE, DROP KNIFE, GET PIPE
- At the latest since now there is a group of Gremlins waiting outside for us, to occupy them for a while wie go to the cinema and start the movie.
- N, N, E, GO CINEMA, S, START PROJECTOR
- Now go to the car workshop to get the gas bottle and the welding torch.
- N, N, W, W, GO STATION, GO PIT, GET TORCH, GET BOTTLE
- Now go home into the garage and destroy the snowplough so you cannot be rolled over.
- U, N, W, S, S, OPEN VALVE, LIGHT TORCH, WELD SNOWPLOUGH, DROP IGNITER, GET LADDER
- Next we have to let out the water in the swimming pool. HINT: If Gremlins appear you can put them to flight again with PRESS BUTTON.
- N, N, W, GO DOOR, DROP ALL, GO POOL, GET PLUG, U, GET CAMERA, GET FLASHLIGHT, GET BOTTLE, GET PIPE, GET TORCH, GET LADDER
- Now the movie is over and there are Gremlins lounging around in the streets again. Therefore: Again to the cinema ...
- E, E, E, E, E, GO CINEMA, S, START PROJECTOR
- ... to then go to the store next door to get the hacksaw unhurriedly.
- N, N, GO STORE, W, DROP LADDER, GET HACKSAW
- With the hacksaw we now go to the mailbox and cut it.
- E, S, W, W, W, N, LIGHT FLASHLIGHT, MAIL FLASHLIGHT, CUT BOX, GET PLATES
- With the plates from he cut mail box we go back to the store and weld closed some of the outlet shafts.
- S, E, E, E, GO STORE, N, WELD PLATE, W, WELD PLATE
- Now we have to start the movie for the third time.
- E, S, S, GO CINEMA, S, WAIT (until you get visited by the Gremlins), START PROJECTOR
- Now we have won some time to close the rest of the shafts.
- N, N, GO STORE, E, E, WELD PLATE, W, U, E, WELD PLATE, W, U, W, OPEN DOOR, GO DOOR, WELD PLATE, E, E, E, OPEN DOOR, GO DOOR, WELD PLATE
- ... to start the movie again in the cinema.
- N, W, D, D, W, S, GO CINEMA, S, WAIT (until you get visited by the Gremlins), START PROJECTOR
- Now get the ladder from the store ...
- N, N, GO STORE, W, DROP HACKSAW, GET LADDER
- ... to close further shafts.
- E, E, U, U, U, W, GO DOOR, WELD PLATE, E, E, GO TRAPDOOR, WELD PLATE
- Now we wait in the room with the last open shaft to shoo them into the shaft with the flashlight.
- D, D, D, D, W, W, WAIT (until you get visited by the Gremlins), PRESS BUTTON
- Now we can kill the Gremlins with the gas.
- WELD PLATE, PLUG DRILL, CLOSE VALVE, DROP TORCH, DROP PLATE, EXAMINE COUNTER, GET TAPE, GET DRILL, DRILL PLATE, GET HACKSAW, CUT PIPE, JOIN PIPE (with tape), INSERT PIPE, OPEN VALVE
- Now we go outside and wait for the explosion.
- E, S, W, W, W, W, WAIT (until the store explodes)
- Stripe now starts running and jumps into the pool in which, fortunately, there is no water any more.
- GO DOOR, DROP ALL, GO POOL, GET STRIPE, U, E
On the internet circulates the "Cheat Mode" POKE 4298,84 SYS 4096. This could not be verified with the emulator and the cracked versions.
Wecky: "I was a Gremlins fan a that time (and I am still one :D) and jubilant to be able to get hold of this game. But it was and is damn hard to play. I never really got very far. However, each newly reached setting was a small success for me. I found the graphics for those times very successful and the mood of the movie was also there. Objectively speaking, the puzzles are not really done well and you often only proceed by "try and error", which can be frustrating very quickly. E.g. if I do not leave the sword in the house I will always be killed in the bar (and you only think, huuuuuhh?) Unfortunately, the end is also unimaginative, I would have wished for more here :-( I give the game 7 out of 10 points (due to the graphics and the Gremlins factor)".
- The English C64 version has a bug but can be played to the end. If you simply type "GO" you arrive at the corridor of the store.
- The German versions of the game by "The Syndicate" and "Dynamic-Duo" cannot be played to the end.
- The only German version playable to the end of this adventure is from "The Joker"! (see links)
Advertisment (Int) ...
The last 10 minutes of the longplay of the game.
No highscore possible
- C64Games.de - Game No. 580
- C64Games.de - Game No. 3395 (version by "The Joker")
- Lemon64 - Game No. 1100
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 3286
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 15223
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 17548
- Gremlins - Das Abenteuer (de) in the Forum-64 (version by "The Joker")
- CSDb - Release No. 94722
- C64.com - Game No. 1318
- ready64 - Game No. 597
- Test Report No. 3052 on Kultboy.com
- TheLegacy entry no.2172
- ZZap64 test report
- Gremlins – The Adventure at MobyGames