Commodore Sound Expander
|This article is very short and not very detailed. Please help to improve it.|
|Commodore Sound Expander|
|Producer:||Commodore/Music Sales Limited|
|Price:||125 US$; 99.99 £; 399 DM (ca. 200 €)|
|Processor:||Yamaha YM3526 OPL|
|Info:||External Software "F.M. Sound Expander" with C64, SFX or MIDI keyboards|
The Commodore Sound Expander or SFX Sound Expander is a sound synthesizer cartridge with 9 voices for the Commodore 64. It was developed by Richard Watts. The synthesizer chip is a Yamaha YM3526 OPL, which can upgraded by a YM3812 OPL2 chip, which is also used by AdLib- and Soundblaster sound cards in PCs. This cartridge was produced by Music Sales Limited in the UK and marketed as "Commodore SFX series" by Commodore world-wide.
The cartridge is plugged in into the expansion port of a powerlesss C64. The audio plug can be plugged in into speakers or devices which have a speaker plug in. Also can added the external SFX keyboard with 61 keays and 5 octaves
A manual (user's guide) exists, but provides very little technical information. And also the audio lead book "Start Playing Keyboard - The SFX-Tutor" by Peter Lavender.
- Used Chips:
- Yamaha YM3526 OPL
- ROM : ?
- RAM : ?
- Dimensions: 53 × 140 × 135 mm
- Weight: 315? g
- Power Supply: 5 V= through C64 expansions port
- Power: ca. ?? W
- Expansions port for connection other cartridges
- Cinch for audio out
- SFX interface for connection a external SFX keyboard.
- Optional extras:
- Original software: "F.M. Sound Expander" (aka amazing "Riff Machine") on tape or floppy disk.
- CSDb - Release No. 119462
- CSDb - Release No. 119462 C64 DRO player by Gábor Lénárt
- CSDb - Release No. 147615 FM-Sid by "4-Mat"
- VGM-Player by "4-Mat"
- CSDb - Release No. 157163 Vibrants FM by "Xentax"
- 12 voice demo 2 stereo GoatTracker songs
- Some photographs at 8bit.dk
- Nice article about the SFX series of modules and software at floodgap.com
- Sound Expander schematics at zimmers.net