As opposed to most mechanical printers, a thermal printer prints by applying heat.
There are two methods of printing by using thermal printers.
- The one is printing to special coated paper, which changes its color by applying heat. This is called direct thermal printing.
- The other method, thermal transfer printing, works together with a special ribbon that prints the color where it is heated. It can be used only once.
- Low initial cost
- Quiet operation
- Graphics printout possible
- Slow print speed
- Expensive special paper or ribbon
- Instable printouts, if coated paper is used (printout fades within few months until it is totally unreadable)
- No carbon copies possible
- General Electric TXP-1000 Letter Quality Printer can be used on the C64/128 with an adapter.
- Commodore MCS-810
- Commodore CBM 2021
- Brother HR-5C