|Producer:||Creative Micro Designs|
|Price:||under 179 US$|
|Processor:||4MHz Rockwell R65C02P4|
The FD-2000 or CMD FD-2000 was a 3 1/2"floppy disk drive made by Creative Micro Designs in 1993. It is superior to the 1581 in that it can also utilize high density (HD) diskettes for 1.6 Megabytes of storage, while retaining compatibility with standard double density 1581 disks.
The drive has a 1581 compatibility mode, as well as a CMD partition mode. In partition mode, the drive can support up to 31 partitions of any combination of 1541, 1571, 1581, and native CMD partition types (which includes full subdirectory support).
Technical Features[edit | edit source]
- fully compatible with all Commodore serial IEC computers
- 1581 mode and CMD partition mode
- supports 1581 burst mode
- contains built-in JiffyDos
- offers a real time clock option
- has a built in drive # swap option for drive #8 and 9
- supports device numbers from 8-15 via dip switches.
Construction[edit | edit source]
Front[edit | edit source]
- Slot for insertion/ejection of 3.5" disks with eject button and green LED.
- One red power LED.
- One green activity LED (lights up when accessed).
- One red error LED (flashes in case of error).
- A swap button to swap the device number (8 and 9) with the FD and another floppy.
Backside[edit | edit source]
- Connection for mains supply via a voltage adapter (9V DC).
- 2 sockets for the serial Bus to connect a computer or another serial bus device.
- The on/off switch (1 for on).
- One DIP switch for setting a permanent device number. (8-15).
|top: on (on) - bottom: off (off)|
Note: When using the printer interface of Xetec Super Graphix Gold the FD-2000 must not be configured with device number 14!
Technical Details[edit | edit source]
- Logically 26 tracks, 25 of them with 256 sectors each with 256 bytes (one block) and the last track with only 80 sectors. Altogether 6480 sectors.
- Physical 2×81 tracks of 10 sectors with 1024 bytes each. The conversion to logical format is done by the DOS of the drive.
Memory Map[edit | edit source]
Extract from the English user manual:
- $0000 - $0004 1541/1571 Emulation Mode Job Queue
- $0006 - $000F 1541/1571 Job Queue Track & Sector Variables
- $0012 - $001A 1581 Emulation Mode Job Queue
- $001B - $001C 1581 Job Queue Track & Sector Variables
- $001D - $0027 Zeropage Variables
- $0028 - $0047 Native Mode Job Queue
- $0048 - $00F7 free Zeropage Variables
- $00F8 - $00FF free Zeropage RAM
- $0100 - $017F CPU stack
- $0180 - $01BA Indirect Vectors and System Variables
- $01BC - $01CD 1581 Translated Physical Track & Sector
- $01CE - $01D6 1581 Side Variable for Job
- $0107 - $01FF System Variables
- $0200 - $027F Input Command Buffer (127 Byte)
- $0280 - $02FF Systemvariables
- $0300 - $21FF DOS Buffers (31 Puffer / 256 Byte)
- $2200 - $24FF System Buffers
- $2500 - $253F Error Buffer
- $2540 - $27FF System Variables
- $2800 - $283F Native Mode Track & Sector Job Queue Variables
- $2840 - $285F Native Mode Side Variablen
- $2860 - $287F Target Address (high) Variable
- $2880 - $289F Target Address (low) Variable
- $28A0 - $28BF Block Count Variable
- $28C0 - $28FF Translated Physical Track & Sector Variables
- $2900 - $291F Translated Side Variables
- $2920 - $295F reserved
- $2960 - $297F Last Job in Job Queue
- $2980 - $29FF reserved
- $2A00 - $2A1F Partition Type Tabelle
- $2A20 - $2A3F Partition Size (high) Tabelle
- $2A40 - $2A5F Partition Size (middle) Tabelle
- $2A60 - $2A7F Partition Size (low) Tabelle
- $2A80 - $2A9F Partition Starting Address (high) Tabelle
- $2AA0 - $2ABF Partition Starting Address (middle) Tabelle
- $2AC0 - $2ADF Partition Starting Address (low) Tabelle
- $2AE0 - $37FF Systemvariablen
- $3800 - $3FFF 2 KByte free RAM memory
- $4000 - $4BFF VIA 6522 I/O
- $4C00 - $4DFF undekodierter I/O (reserved)
- $4E00 - $4FFF Floppydisk-Controller I/O
- $5000 - $6FFF Cache Buffer
- $7000 - $7FFF BAM Buffers
- $8000 - $FFFF DOS-ROM
References[edit | edit source]
- User's Manual "CMD FD Series - Disk Drives"; 1992 CMD
Links[edit | edit source]