|Voting of the C64-Wiki users (10=the best vote):|
|7.43 points at 30 votes (rank 145).|
You need to be logged in to cast a vote.
|C64Games||8||31st January 2010 - "super" - 3.778 downs|
|Lemon64||7,6||31st January 2010 - 77 votes|
|Gamebase64||9||5/5 "Very Good"|
|Kultboy.com||8,47||31st January2010 - 15 votes|
|Happy Computer||90%||Games Special 11|
|ASM||10/10||Issue 5/86 (CPC)|
Scientists have discovered a mysterious structure in another dimension. To research its origin, the whole section needs the get mapped. This honourable task falls to you, the technical junior assistant sub worker of the “Mapping” department. For your investigation you receive "Gerald", a gyro-shaped, remote controlled vehicle. As the whole thing is a project of the government, the money is short. But you need money to provide energy for “Gerald”.
If you discover new sectors of the area or collect jewels, you instantly get new energy for "Gerald" (and with this more time to play). You will need it, as the area has about 400 sectors and each sector fills out the screen. The world that you need to research consists of a labyrinth of ramps, stairs, jumps, bridges, gangways, one ways, lakes, trampolines and ice areas. These need to be transcended with great skill. If Gerald falls down, this will cost energy (time). A system of switches and lifts poses logical problems. Certain places of the world are only accessible by a lift, but the lifts need to get activated by switches.
But often enough are these switches or lifts blocked by obstacles, which in turn need to be removed through other switches. As only a maximum of two switches can be active at the same time, you really need to puzzle at some places how to access the lift. And lastly there are also dangerous "inhabitants", which you should not touch as they steal you energy (time).
Spindizzy can also be played with two players. The two player mode is very unusual though. One player controls the gyro up and down, the other player left and right.
Detailed 3D graphics (view diagonally from above) with changeable direction of view and many different structures (ice, water, building, bridges, lifts, etc.). The map of Spindizzy is immensely big, more than 380 screens! I.e.: Playing time of about 3 hours until the whole world has been mapped. Unfortunately, it was saved on sound.
– speed slow/fast
- 1/2 player (joysticks)
– to the title screen
= Help – show a screen with the most important elements in the game. Press any key to get back to the title screen.
in the game
= push joystick into all directions (also diagonally) to move Gerald in the desired direction.
= push joystick into all directions (also diagonally) to move Gerald in the desired direction with high speed.
= Gerald gets more road grip. Can be used to stop, but also during moving. But needs much energy (time).
, , , = set the different directions of view.
= viewing direction north
= change viewing direction clockwise
= change viewing direction anti-clockwise
= opposing viewing direction
= (Map) shows map of the Spindizzy world
= (Score) shows the current score
= (Colour) switches between colour and monochrome display
= (Pause) to continue playing, press any key
= (Image) gives Gerald and the inhabitants of the world a different appearance (pyramid –gyro - ball)
= (Quit) abort game and go to the title screen
 The map
After pressing the keyyou see a map of the Spindizzy world (north is up). It gets automatically mapped during the game. The time is not reduced while you look at the map. To continue playing press any key.
- Yellow = mapped area without jewels
- Purple = mapped area where there is still one or several jewels
- Red = area that is not mapped yet
- Schwarz = area that doesn’t belong to the world
 The score
After pressing the keyor after the game ends, you will be shown a rating. This comprises:
- percentage of the whole world that has been mapped
- percentage of all jewels that you have already collected
- How much percent of the game you have already solved.
Unfortunately there is no highscore list, also the highscore is not saved. To continue playing press thekey,
 The elements
In the image from top to bottom:
- Lift, switch, lift
- Water, jewel, ice
- Hint, trampoline, compass
Different switches can have the same symbol, but they do not have to have the same effect. Lift and the corresponding switch have the same symbol, but they don’t need to be on the same screen.
The clear switch, switches of both switches. Its symbol is a rhomboid with dots at the corners.
There are only a few inhabitants in the Spindizzy world, but these are very dangerous. They are virtually attracted by Gerald and during a touch they steal him very much energy (time). Therefore you should avoid this species.
- Buy a big package of paper, a 100-bundle of pencils and take a holiday for one year, then also you will belong to the few junior assistant sub-workers of the “Mapping” department, who have solved 100% of the game Spindizzy!
- Without noting down the trickiest points it is impossible to get to know more than 35% of the world. For this use the cheat mode of the “Remember” version.
- To start with, you should try the eastern world of Spindizzy, it offers the least puzzles and the time is counted down more slowly.
- At the beginning of the game, Gerald is always put down in the same screen (point A, see “entrance to the south-western part”)
- You should always follow the hints that are given (at the lower left of the screen). Most of the time it is impossible to overcome these points without the displayed switch.
- A detailed map of the whole world of Spindizzy can be found under Lösung on C64Games.de - Game No. 729 .
- The longplay video (link see below) is really worth seeing! In about 2 hours the world of Spindizzy is mapped. Here you get an impression of how some of the puzzles need to be solved.
 Example: entrance to the south-western world
If you want to get from point (A), where every game starts, to the south-western world, your way will be blocked by a water ditch and a solid wall (screen B). Here hides a tricky puzzle.
Notice the hint in screen B in the lower left of the screen. It says that in this screen a switch with the same symbol needs to be activated. You should follow hints like these in Spindizzy. This switch (4) is situated in screen C. The problem here is, that at the exit of screen C there are two interrupters, which deactivate all switches when leaving the screen. Now you have the possibility to switch on the lift (6) with switch (3) and jump with Gerald over the interrupters.
You will see the next problem, as soon as you try this. In this room only one switch can be active. If you switch on the lift, the other switch will get activated and vice versa. The solution is to first press the switch for the lift and when the lift is about 5 mm over the highest step to then press the other switch.
The lift now stays in its position and the switch that you need according to the hint in screen B is active. Now the interrupters can be jumped. For this you will probably need several tries. Now you can return to screen B. You will notice that in the wall a gap has formed. The last action now is to push switch (2) to create a bridge over the ditch. Now the way to the south-western world is free.
 Overview map
- The version by "Remember" has the cheat mode option to stop the time. Use this option at the beginning, this way the game is still hard enough.
H.T.W: "First it is fun, then it is addictive and finally it drives you insane . . . this was written in some test report about Spindizzy and this statement literally "hits the mark", because I couldn’t phrase it better. It is fun, when you have comprehended the controls, you don’t want to stop, when you made it to map about 15%, and it almost drives you mad if you cannot get over the same point for the fifth time and you run out of time. . . ! To summarize: a pretentious and almost insolvable game with good graphics and much puzzling (now what does that switch do?). Spindizzy is absolutely recommendable for everyone who wants to spend " a bit" more time with a game!!".
AR: "I actually have collected all jewels and went through the whole map some years ago. But I was a bit disappointed that nothing happened after that, i.e. no extra screen or exit or something similar. I even went back to the starting point, but this also had no special effect. Anyway, a nice game, which had me occupied for a few hours."
- In the version by „Remember“ the saving and loading of a score as a new and important function was added.
= save the current game on disk
- Key = load a saved game from disk
- For Amiga and Atari ST there was a successor named "Spindizzy Worlds" in 1990. In 1992 then also for the SNES.
- C64Games.de - Game No. 729
- C64Games.de - Game No. 4353
- Lemon64 - Game No. 2419
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 7214
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 15264
- C64.com - Game No. 562
- Download Video at C64-longplays.de 122.31 MB