|Voting of the C64-Wiki users (10=the best vote):|
|7.24 points at 17 votes (rank 247).|
You need to be logged in to cast a vote.
|C64Games||8||20th January 2006 - "super" 2790 downs|
|Lemon64||7,6||27th June 2007 - 35 votes|
|Kultboy.com||7,75||28th July 2008 - 4 votes|
You play Freddie who is chased by monsters while collecting buckets full of gold pieces and many bonus items (four in each of the 16 levels) as e.g. ice cream, christmas trees, dollar bills etc. . The paths, that the monsters go, follow a certain pattern, so they are predictable. A level counts as solved, when all buckets with gold pieces haven been collected. The speciality in this game is that Freddie cannot walk past a ladder leading up, but only is allowed to walk back or up. Another difference to other games of the same genre is that you can constantly hear well-known hit parade sounds as a background music.
The graphics are not outstanding, but designed fondly. The music, as aready mentioned, is very good, but it stands out that some pieces are by the band "Queen". According to the programmer Kris Hatlelid the name of the game does not refer to Freddie Mercury, the singer of the group. Every second level (this is 2, 4, 6, and so on) follows a short and funny interlude, of which there are, unfortunately, only two different ones.
- The game is controlled completely by joystick, where the fire button has no function.
- Even the entry into the highscore list is done by joystick.
- Every picked up gold pot gets you: level 1-2 = 10 points, level 3-4 = 20 points, level 5-6 = 30 points, level 7-8 = 40 points, level 9-10 = 50 points, level 11-12 = 60 points, level 13 = 70 points, level 14 = 80 points, level 15 = 90 points, level 16 = 100 points.
- Bonus points: 100-1000
- The speed of the game rises after every second level.
- You can go behind the ladder top right corner on the first level. If you hold the joystick to the right after going behind it you will appear not quite half way out on the screen . This can also be done on the fifteenth level.
- Before "running" the game, type 'poke 34535,24', press enter and then type 'run'. This cheat removes any collision detection between Freddie and the enemies, so level 17 can be reached without any danger.
- Before "running" the game, type 'poke 3118,234;poke 3119,234', hit enter and run it. Allows you to collide with monsters, die and lose no lives.
Sledgie: "For my playing abilites concerning such collecting games Frantic Freddie is just too hard. I think the idea with the ladders is unique and good."
Guybrush: "One of many collecting games, which existed in the beginning years of the C64 era and one of the better ones of its kind."
Robotron2084: "Frustrating and difficult platformer with entrancing music and acute addictive potential. 8 out of 10 points."
- Later, there was a fan conversion of this game on the Amiga. However, the programmers didn't point out that the original was made by Kris Hatlelid.
- In 2014, a remake for the PC named "Frantic Freddie Returns" was released as freeware (download here).
- C64Games.de - Game No. 1355
- Lemon64 - Game No. 972
- Gamebase64.com - Game No. 2909
- Test Report No. 2128 on